Edible Education update with Chef Educator Lisa Kalabokis
Over the course of the last three months, I had the privilege of working with some extraordinary students at Manierre Elementary School and DePaul College Prep.We introduced to them a passion for food and nutritious eating, while providing an opportunity for hands-on learning and discussion.
So far, I’ve watched children, who claim to not like vegetables, scarf them down. Often they return to our next class together exclaiming proudly that they made our recipes at home with their parents! I’ve watched teamwork happen between groups who, at times, struggle to get along.
But perhaps most notably, I’ve watched a group of young people set tables together; carefully fold napkins for their classmates. I’ve watched them fill water glasses; serve food to each other. I’ve watched them, unprompted, grab each other’s hands and pray, one by one sharing what they were thankful for each and every day.
We are incredibly proud to share our knowledge of sustainable food systems, and how to prepare the food nutritiously and with love. However, it is in the moments, like the ones I describe here, that really drive home for me why we are doing this work- to foster a community of responsibility and kindness, not only to ourselves, but to each other. What better way to do that than through good food? I can’t wait to see what we accomplish with these young minds in 2018 and beyond.
- Lisa Kalabokis, GCM Chef Educator
- The Turkey Trials: Learn more about your holiday bird
- Monday, October 15, 2018
- Listen to Exec Director, Melissa Flynn on WGN Radio's Patty Vasquez Show with Andrea Darlas!
- Friday, October 12, 2018
- Grains of Knowledge with Brian Severson Farms
- Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- Edible Education Update: Starting the Garden at Manierre School
- Tuesday, September 25, 2018
- Green City Market app featured on NBC 5 Chicago's Tech Trends
- Monday, September 24, 2018
Receive weekly updates, invitations to exclusive events, and market news. Browse archive »