Edible Education update with Chef Educator Lisa Kalabokis
Over the course of the last three months, I had the privilege of working with some extraordinary students at Manierre Elementary School and DePaul College Prep.We introduced to them a passion for food and nutritious eating, while providing an opportunity for hands-on learning and discussion.
So far, I’ve watched children, who claim to not like vegetables, scarf them down. Often they return to our next class together exclaiming proudly that they made our recipes at home with their parents! I’ve watched teamwork happen between groups who, at times, struggle to get along.
But perhaps most notably, I’ve watched a group of young people set tables together; carefully fold napkins for their classmates. I’ve watched them fill water glasses; serve food to each other. I’ve watched them, unprompted, grab each other’s hands and pray, one by one sharing what they were thankful for each and every day.
We are incredibly proud to share our knowledge of sustainable food systems, and how to prepare the food nutritiously and with love. However, it is in the moments, like the ones I describe here, that really drive home for me why we are doing this work- to foster a community of responsibility and kindness, not only to ourselves, but to each other. What better way to do that than through good food? I can’t wait to see what we accomplish with these young minds in 2018 and beyond.
- Lisa Kalabokis, GCM Chef Educator
- Food Waste Op-ed & Update with Executive Director Melissa Flynn
- Thursday, January 18, 2018
- 2017 Holiday Gift Guide
- Wednesday, December 13, 2017
- Press Release: Winter Is On Its Way, But Fresh, Sustainable Produce Is Still Available Thanks To Green City Market's Indoor Market
- Monday, November 13, 2017
- Chef Ethan Pikas of Cellar Door Provisions & Chef BBQ featured on WGN Lunch Break
- Thursday, July 13, 2017
- Our Board Member, Eric Mansavage of Farmhouse Chicago, and Chef BBQ highlighted on NBC Chicago Cafe 5
- Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Receive weekly updates, invitations to exclusive events, and market news. Browse archive »