Dinner for two! Shoulder Tender Steak with Mushroom Conserva and Pea Tendrils
Demonstrated at Green City Market February 9th, 2013
Enjoy this romantic dinner for 2! Pair with the cocktail pairing, "FOUND: f.e.w. rye and preserves smash"
- 1 tsp Black peppercorns, ground
- 2 tsp Green peppercorns, ground
- 2 Bay leaves, ground
- 2 Shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs Thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 4 sprigs Savory, leaves picked and chopped
- ½ Cup Rice Bran Oil
- 4 shoulder tender steaks
Combine peppercorns and bay leaves in a spice grinder, grind until fine.
Combine mixture with garlic, shallots, herbs, and oil.
Cover shoulder tenders and let marinate for 2 – 24 hours.
For the Conserva
- 2 cup herb oil (see recipe below)
- 2 lb shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut thin
- 1 cup leeks, julienne
- 3 Tbsp sherry wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Black pepper, ground
Place strained oil in a medium sized sauce pot, bring to a simmer. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour warm oil over mushrooms stir and cover – stir every couple min to “cook” down mushrooms. Let cool to room temperature then refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
For the herb oil
- 2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 bay leaves, fresh
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch savory
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 allspice berries
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp green peppercorns
Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottom sauce pot, place on the stove over med-low heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let steep for 30 to 45 min or until room temperature. Strain oil and discard herbs and spices. Reserve oil for the conserva.