English Pea Velouté with goat cheese, summer onion and truffle oil
- Coarse salt
- 3 cups Nichols Farm shelled English sweet peas (from about 3 pounds peas in the pod)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of French butter
- 6 onions, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic or green garlic
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock
- Truffle oil to taste
- 3 tablespoons crème fraîche
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Brioche croutons
- ¼ cups Capriole goat cheese
STEP 1: Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add a generous amount of salt. Add peas, and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, and run under cold water to stop cooking, then drain again; set aside.
STEP 2: Heat oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and translucent, but not brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped garlic and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
STEP 3: Place half of the cool peas in blender jar with half of the simmered broth. Cover lid with a kitchen towel since hot liquid will expand when blended. Purée until smooth. Add half of the crème fraîche, and purée. Pass through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean saucepan. Repeat with remaining peas, broth, crème fraiche, and truffle oil.
STEP 4: Place saucepan over medium heat until hot. Taste, and adjust for seasoning. The soup may be cooled completely at this point and stored refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen.
STEP 5: Ladle soup into chilled bowls and serve with Brioche croutons and truffle oil.