Red Cabbage with Apples and Bacon
Soups & Sides
By Dana Benigno- Chicagocooks.com, a website connecting you to culinary resources and organizations in Chicago.
Serve this dish with roasted chicken, pork, or grilled or oven roasted salmon. You can make this in advance and re-heat before serving.
- 4 cups chopped red cabbage
- 2 medium tart apples such as Granny Smith, Jonathon or Honey Crisp, chopped
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and onion to the pan and cook slowly until the onion is soft and the bacon is beginning to be slightly crisp at the edges.
- Add the cabbage and cook until it becomes soft. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and season with the salt and pepper.
- When the cabbage is tender, stir in the apples and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more until the apples are heated through but still slightly crisp.