Fall Market Vegetable Shepherds Pie
Liz Tokarczyk - Limelight
Yield: 8 Dinner Servings
- 2 lbs Ground Beef (Best to use 90/10)
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Spanish or White Onion, 1/4 in. dice
- 2 cup Carrot,1/4 in. dice
- 2 cup Butternut Squash, 1/4 in. dice
- 2 cup Turnip, 1/4 in. dice
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Oregano, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cup Beef Broth
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1.5 lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes (Large), peeled
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Fresh Chives, finely chopped
- Salt and Fresh Black Pepper to Taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large skillet heat the oil. Add the onion, carrot, butternut squash, turnip, garlic and ground beef. Cook until meat is browned, 8-10 minutes. Drain the fat and discard.
Add the broth, tomato paste and herbs. Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish. (A 9x13 will work fine)
Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes, drain. Mash the potatoes with the butter, sour cream and salt. (A mixer works well) Add chives and mix only until incorporated. Spread the potatoes over the meat mixture and using a cake comb, decorate the top.
Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes.