Carrot Salad with Summer Apples and Spearmint
Paul Fehribach - Big Jones
- 6 medium carrots
- 2 medium summer apples, plus half a lemon
- 1 small torpedo onion
- 1/4 cup spearmint leaves
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 1/4 cup fruity extra virgin olive oil, French or Northern Italian
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes, or to taste
Cut the tops from the carrots. Scrub thoroughly and peel, if desired. Using a mandoline or box grater, julienne the carrot on the bias into 2" strips, and place in a mixing bowl.
Do the same with the apples, and toss in the juice of 1/2 lemon to prevent browning.
Julienne the torpedo onion and mint, and add to the mix.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, olive oil, salt, and chili flakes.
Add dressing to the vegetable bowl and toss.
Refrigerate for about thirty minutes before serving.