Board of Directors
Message from the Board
Thank you for your support of Green City Market.
Now entering our 15th season, we are a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization and Chicago’s only sustainable, year-round, farmer’s market. Beginning with only nine farmers when we opened next to the Chicago Theatre, the Market has grown to embrace nearly 50 sustainable or organic farmers and tens of thousands of shoppers.
Farmers are the heart of our mission. They bring seasonal products to Chicago twice each week. Our job is to help make these local foods available to everyone, as our founder, Abby Mandel, envisioned. While we work to expand the availability of local, sustainably raised food, we also strive to expand the understanding of the importance of such foods to everyone. We are proud of our accomplishments and want to share them here with you:
- Green City Market farmers continue on their path to third-party certification by 2012, and we maintain that all foods sold at the Market be local. Our Market tents offer selections that reflect our pride in Midwestern meats, poultry, eggs, dairy products, fruits, and vegetables.
- We continue to seek out new farmers who support our mission.
- We increase the flow of local food to restaurant tables by connecting farmers and chefs.
- We have created an action plan to increase the availability of heirloom and heritage meats, fruits and vegetables at the Market.
- We continue to focus on our Edible Gardens program as a learning tool for children in Chicago public and independent schools through interactive garden tours. We host thousands of students each year through this
program, housed in the Lincoln Park Zoo.
- More than 100 active volunteers donate their time to help make the Market run smoothly.
An energetic new Junior Board broadens our outreach to the community.
Green City Market’s incredible momentum comes from our broad base including conscientious and caring consumers, chefs, restaurateurs and other culinary professionals.
We appreciate your support, and we look forward to seeing you at the Market.
John Berghoff and Sarah Stegner
Co-Chairs, Board of Directors
Executive Director, Openlands
Chef/Owner, Frontera Grill and Topolobampo
Executive Director, Heritage Prairie Market
Partner, Mayer Brown, LLP
Former Board Chair, Openlands
Organic Farmer, Kinnikinnick Farm
Vice President, Victory Over Cancer
Former Alderman, City of Chicago, 43rd Ward
Farmer, Green Acres
Secretary, Food Writer
Chef/Owner, Limelight - food illuminated
President, Kurman Communications
President and Executive Producer, Kurtis Productions
Donna La Pietra
Executive Producer, Kurtis Productions
Finance, The Four Seasons
Founder, Chicago Gourmets & Chicago Culinary Historians
President, The Richter Group
Chef/Owner, North Pond Restaurant
Chef/Owner, Prairie Grass Cafe
President, Intelligentsia Coffee