Spring Vegetable Medley with Homemade Ricotta
Tom Van Lente - White Oak
Demonstrated by Chef Tom Van Lente of White Oak Tavern and Lucien Prellwitz of Ned Ludd (Portland, Oregon) at Green City Market on June 4, 2016
- 1 gallon whole milk
- 1 cup white vinegar or lemon juice
- 2.5 TBSP kosher salt
- Heat milk to 185* F then turn off heat.
- Add vinegar or lemon juice and salt.
- Let sit on counter for 1 hour.
- Strain through a cheesecloth or coffee filter - at least 30 minutes.
- Ricotta is now ready and liquid (whey) can be reserved for another use
- 1 bunch raw breakfast radishes
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 1 bunch turnips, quartered
- thyme flowers
- 1/2 cup lovage leaves
- 1 bunch sliced asparagus
- 1/2 cup verjus for deglazing
- Heat pan over medium/high heat, add canola oil.
- Saute the turnips first. Then add asparagus, spring onions and radishes.
- Warm vegetables through and season with salt & pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with verjus for added acidity.
- Remove from heat and finish with fresh thyme flowers.
- To serve, put vegetables in large serving bowl and top with homemade ricotta cheese.